Skip to main content

Meanderings of my mind, on Open Day at IISc

It's Open Day in IISc today! Which means that the gates of the institute and all that's kept hidden inside is 'open' to the public today. This is done each year on the occasion of National Science Day and the institute quite turns into a colorful science carnival, just for a day. It translates into departments almost competing with each other to come up with the most attractive exhibits, activities, demonstrations and games which will catch the attention of young school and college children, and give them a peek into the fascinating world of science which lies beyond their textbooks. The campus too takes on a very festive look with hundreds (possibly, thousands) of pots of colorful seasonal flowers and foliage, dotting the many nooks and corners. While this initiative is meant as a service to the public, whose money funds the bulk of our research, and to encourage more students to study science; I personally relish each year the creativity that comes in briefly into our stressful routines in the quest for making our work as appealing to the lay man as possible. The greater (but sometimes more rewarding) challenge lies in conveying the ideas and concepts to children of varying ages, often as young as 5 or 6 years. For most visitors it's just another school/college outing and for many, a 'legitimate' day long hangout with friends. Then there are some who come with their encouraging families. But hidden among these crowds, there are many kids who really relish the experiences as they go about satisfying their curiosity. It's not difficult to recognize them from the twinkle in their eyes as they soak it all in, often questioning innocently and without reserve.

It's been a while since I have been resigned to the sidelines as our lab prepares for the occasion, with my responsibilities now limited to advising the juniors (and I am not complaining!). But today as I look at the crowds thronging the campus with a constant buzz of activity and excitement, from a distance; I recall the Open Days of a just few years back. A time when I myself actively enjoyed the preparations, the interactions, and visiting exhibits at various other departments; and I realize with a twinge of sadness that like many other things, this is my 'last one' here!


The secrets in our genes...

Floral extravaganza at the main building

The other side of open day ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The six month milestone!

Yes, it seems incredible that it's been six months already! Six months since I took a giant leap of faith and left literally every'thing' behind. Six months since I arrived in the 'New World'. And what a crazy six months it's been! Almost every day has brought me new challenges that have tested me in different ways. Every day has reminded me that I have chosen to deal with a life out of my comfort zone and I have no choice but to face it heads on! These six months have also given me several positive experiences and the satisfaction of being able to handle the challenges in different ways and to different degrees. I have been extremely lucky to have been helped by many people and in several ways, all of whom made my survival here so far, possible and often comfortable. I have been warmly welcomed into the homes and hearths of so many families. I have made new friends. I have experienced life from a completely different perspective. I have learnt quite a few les...

The irresistible attraction of words

I find myself wandering endlessly, drawn by the intense lure of words, descriptions, and information... to soak in as much as possible and to create for myself... yet day by day it strengthens its hold, and as I struggle to keep up with it; I am overpowered like never before... with the thoughts, ideas and wishlists just piling up, threatening to drive away peace and order...    Illustration by Julie Paschkis in,     Pablo Neruda: Poet of the People

Que sera, sera... what will be, will be !

                                         (Photo credits: http://www.missouriskies.org/rainbow/february_rainbow_2006.html) I have always liked things to be perfectly planned, organized, and under control. It doesn't mean that I don't like (pleasant !) surprises and unexpected thrills, but that uncertainty and chaos are big fears. Although always a strong believer in destiny, I have also simultaneously believed that we create our own destinies. With time however, I am increasingly appreciating that most things are beyond our control. No matter how much we try to predict, plan, and organize;  and in spite of our best efforts, most things will happen just the way it is meant to be. When everything looks just perfect and fitting into place, people and situations will create unwanted complications. And again, when you worry about something and fear the worst, more ...