Skip to main content

Life Lessons from the recent past...

It has been a strange period, the last 8-9 months. It has been marked by some of the most significant milestones of my life; the occasions much sought after, and the memories to be cherished forever. At the same time it has also taught me an important lesson, not a new one, but one whose extent and intensity I have felt like never before, in this time period. The bottom line of the lesson is that “Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans” (Allen Saunders/John Lennon).

To explain briefly, numerous plans directly affecting me, my immediate family members, or both, have converted themselves into either sheer nothingness or disappointments or even complete trauma. It is quite amazing how in each case the circumstances have shaped up: from being simply unfortunate to infuriating to downright unimaginable. As a person who is almost obsessed with planning and lists and ‘being in control’; it has been absolutely terrifying. Suddenly now, any plan, big or small, that I make, comes with the default understanding that all that can go wrong, probably will! You always have got to be prepared for the worst.

There are three specific realizations that have stemmed from this extremely frustrating and stressful phase:

1. Planning is very important but it is equally important to be prepared (at least mentally, if not more practically) for the best of plans to go wrong.

2. Let go. It’s impossible to hold on to every snippet of a phase in your life no matter how dear it is. Sometimes the best bet is to say goodbye and start afresh.

3. Minimalism, at least to a certain extent, is the best policy. Keep your life, surroundings and mind, clutter free. Let go of what isn’t necessary and probably never will be. Recycle. Give away, donate. Refrain from impulsive and needless purchasing and hoarding.

This post probably reads like a sermon by now, but it summarizes things learnt personally, and by the hard way. These are words of advice I would give myself (or anyone else) to prevent and deal with future heartbreaks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The six month milestone!

Yes, it seems incredible that it's been six months already! Six months since I took a giant leap of faith and left literally every'thing' behind. Six months since I arrived in the 'New World'. And what a crazy six months it's been! Almost every day has brought me new challenges that have tested me in different ways. Every day has reminded me that I have chosen to deal with a life out of my comfort zone and I have no choice but to face it heads on! These six months have also given me several positive experiences and the satisfaction of being able to handle the challenges in different ways and to different degrees. I have been extremely lucky to have been helped by many people and in several ways, all of whom made my survival here so far, possible and often comfortable. I have been warmly welcomed into the homes and hearths of so many families. I have made new friends. I have experienced life from a completely different perspective. I have learnt quite a few les...

The irresistible attraction of words

I find myself wandering endlessly, drawn by the intense lure of words, descriptions, and information... to soak in as much as possible and to create for myself... yet day by day it strengthens its hold, and as I struggle to keep up with it; I am overpowered like never before... with the thoughts, ideas and wishlists just piling up, threatening to drive away peace and order...    Illustration by Julie Paschkis in,     Pablo Neruda: Poet of the People

Que sera, sera... what will be, will be !

                                         (Photo credits: http://www.missouriskies.org/rainbow/february_rainbow_2006.html) I have always liked things to be perfectly planned, organized, and under control. It doesn't mean that I don't like (pleasant !) surprises and unexpected thrills, but that uncertainty and chaos are big fears. Although always a strong believer in destiny, I have also simultaneously believed that we create our own destinies. With time however, I am increasingly appreciating that most things are beyond our control. No matter how much we try to predict, plan, and organize;  and in spite of our best efforts, most things will happen just the way it is meant to be. When everything looks just perfect and fitting into place, people and situations will create unwanted complications. And again, when you worry about something and fear the worst, more ...