![]() |
| The sun sets on a record-breaking hot day. Pacifica, September 3, 2017 |
This Labor Day weekend marks the 2nd anniversary of my arrival in the US and the beginning of my current life situation! I had hoped to be able to post at least once every month (or two!) but despite my best intentions, it hasn't happened. This ‘special’ occasion however called for at least a little mention of some things turning through my mind in recent weeks and months!
It is without question that I miss India especially my family and friends, the cities Kolkata and Bangalore and everything familiar that I had grown to cherish with time. If I could land an intellectually satisfying, well paying job at a 'good' location in my country (say, a 'Dream Job') once I have completed my mission here... I would go back in a heartbeat! I understand that no job will be a dream job and there will be a lot of compromises to make (but that's the case anywhere, right? You lose some, only then you gain some!) There is no doubt that one's support system, values and culture (and not to mention, the absence of the dreaded and destabilizing word 'Visa') make a huge difference to their overall satisfaction and quality of life. After all, who doesn't want to 'belong'?
But what if with time you start to feel like you also belong here? It's probably a bit of a stretch (or not?) to say that maybe you start realizing ever so slightly maybe, what the ‘great American dream’ is all about. Is it surprising? Probably not, as there are several thousands of people (let's just restrict it to Indians and to scientific professionals for the sake of simplicity) who all arrived here with an intent to make use of the opportunities (in terms of quantity, quality, and diversity) and eventually return home with the ticket to a 'better' life than they could have ever had without their US sojourn. Of course, there are also others who arrived here with a firm intent to stay and that is a different story.
But what if you slowly start realizing WHY the ones who later changed their minds and stayed behind, probably did so? Is it merely a choice or does it become inevitable with the passage of time, a compulsion almost?
This post is not meant to announce that I too have changed my mind. I haven't. But I have increasing appreciation for the many factors that drive people to eventually change their minds (or accept their fate?). Increasing appreciation for the uncertainty that lurks in the not too distant future, twice as intense, as we will be looking for not one 'Dream Job' but two.
Here are some of the things I have grown to appreciate about the 'American life' during my two years here so far.
Disclaimer: I realized while writing this piece that most of what I listed are very strongly intertwined with the fact that my American experience has been centered in the San Francisco Bay Area. A lot of things would have been completely different if I had started out in a small town or in a state apart from California.
The workplace environment and culture:
It is definitely not an exaggeration to say that it makes a world of difference. In India we hear about this difference in work cultures all the time, but one really needs to experience it to appreciate it. Having a positive and motivating work environment where everyone strives to do their best creatively, efficiently and without any excuses, can be such a positive factor. Things simply run on much better oiled wheels!
Also, I learnt here the power of a supportive group of coworkers - there can and will be issues everywhere, but at least people here are professional enough to not let it overtly get in the way and threaten everyone's peace of mind. Also, people mind their own business and yet mostly without being too cold, distant or unapproachable (infact for a lot of people I have been lucky enough to know, it's quite the opposite actually!).
The fact that you can be yourself:
You can be as unique as you like and you will not feel like you are being judged at every step. You won't feel like a thousand pair of eyes are monitoring your every move and decision and holding you answerable for things as trivial as how you dress or what you eat... or as critical as how to choose to live your life and who you associate with. There is far greater personal freedom here than I ever imagined. Nothing is too odd ;)
Quality of life:
Yes, work-life balance really does exist. And it is encouraged and appreciated. Just work and work (or pretending to work by staying crazy long hours) can only make Jack a dull (and disgruntled) boy. And there is just so very much to do and see and explore and experience... there is something for everybody no matter what the interest, budget, or fitness level. There's especially so much to be done outdoors, and so much unpolluted and unspoilt nature is very accessible all around.
Although I am no fan of the consumer-driven culture of the US, it also makes a difference that with a comparable job description you can afford to have an overall much better quality of life here (and I say this although I'm in the Bay Area, where we almost pay our monthly rent with blood! Imagine what it would be like, elsewhere!!).
Safety:
At least as a woman, I feel a lot safer here than anywhere I have lived at in my own country. It is a relief not to have to worry about the appropriateness of my clothing all the time, or teasing glances each time you pass even a small group of men, of lecherous looks, or of being groped on public transport. Even when I was totally alone as a new arrival in this country for a long period with only GPS to help find my way around, I mostly always felt relatively safe. Of course, for your own safety you got to be cautious. But that’s true everywhere!
You are at the heart of the action:
Again, this may be a very San Francisco-centric view but I continually feel the pulse of innovation and new technology being born, tested, and used around me. It's not just about technology however. I appreciate how people (I mean young professionals) are always striving to try out new things and be better versions of themselves. People are rarely idle! This environment encourages motivation to try to step out of your comfort zone and try or learn new things.
You are encouraged to be independent and self-sufficient:
You build things yourself and you fix things yourself. If I hadn't experienced these challenges, I would have never known what I can do. Of course, I understand that such a model is not sustainable for a developing economy with a large population that need jobs, but being self-reliant can never be bad for you. It is extremely empowering in a sense.
The feeling of 'global citizenship':
All around us here, are people from all over the world, representing different ‘races’ and with all possible shades and colors of skin. They each have different stories of how and why they got here. And we have access to at least some facets of each other’s culture be it through food (if I start to talk about my gastronomic adventures of the past 2 years, that will be another long post in itself) or through dedicated cultural events and experiences. I guess it is not very hard to develop a sense of belonging in this shared diversity and inclusiveness and starting to look beyond my identity solely as an Indian or a Bengali! San Francisco is truly an amazing melting pot.
Awareness:
I don’t know if I am (or my experience has been) biased but there’s just overall greater awareness here. Awareness about what is good for you, for society, for the environment or for the planet in general… on average more people care about these issues and at least try to modify their own lifestyles and choices accordingly. A small example of this is the idea of ‘support local’ i.e. avoid eating at fast food and other chain restaurants, or shopping only at the huge chain retailers. Instead support smaller local businesses, local farmers, niche stores and restaurants. There’s not just more uniqueness and diversity involved in the experiences resulting from these choices but there is a deeper sense of connection with the community around you. And of course, it probably helps to put food on a family’s table or pay for a child’s education, where it’s most needed.
Another example that resonates with me is the awareness about what resources can be sustainably used. Say for example, what kind of seafood can be consumed without threatening the species and it’s ecosystem, and what kind is best less consumed. There’s a greater concerted effort to ensure that people know and appreciate these things.
Opportunity:
This might just be one of the most important factors for most people. Just the sheer diversity and the quality of opportunities available here is unparalleled and a critical deciding factor, no matter what your qualifications or interests are.
Well that’s about all for now! After writing so many good things in a row, I guess the next step would be to list the things that are dealbreakers!

Comments
Post a Comment