Skip to main content

A new decade is here...

Choppy waters or the safety of the shore?
At the Fisherman's Wharf at Monterey; Oct 2019

It's the first day of 2020 and a new decade, and naturally a day for reflection at the decade past and reckoning about what lies ahead.  The 2010s were significant and memorable years with many important life events: the PhD degree, tying the knot, and a new beginning in a land far away from home. As expected, there were highs and there were also extreme lows. There were losses and there were lessons and often a perilous tight rope. Uncharted territories and brand new challenges. Many causes for despair and also for hope. And regrets.

No life is lead, no pursuit followed, in vacuum. My life experiences and my journey has of course been shaped by the world and the people around me. And the past decade has been rough, in very many ways. For the planet, for humanity and particularly for many specific groups. We've likely moved many steps closer to a murky and dangerous future.

Yet, as I look back, the scales are slightly tipped towards contentment as I finally feel that I know who I am and what really matters to me.  I understand a wee bit more about the complex world and my place in it.

Many of challenges will continue and in fact, there will be brand new ones. This will definitely be a year of uncharted waters. Significant decisions, that are possibly irreversible. Hopefully there will be a lot of good times and precious memories as well. Here's to welcoming the new year with a tepid mix of anticipation and nervousness. And more importantly, with renewed hope!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The six month milestone!

Yes, it seems incredible that it's been six months already! Six months since I took a giant leap of faith and left literally every'thing' behind. Six months since I arrived in the 'New World'. And what a crazy six months it's been! Almost every day has brought me new challenges that have tested me in different ways. Every day has reminded me that I have chosen to deal with a life out of my comfort zone and I have no choice but to face it heads on! These six months have also given me several positive experiences and the satisfaction of being able to handle the challenges in different ways and to different degrees. I have been extremely lucky to have been helped by many people and in several ways, all of whom made my survival here so far, possible and often comfortable. I have been warmly welcomed into the homes and hearths of so many families. I have made new friends. I have experienced life from a completely different perspective. I have learnt quite a few les...

The irresistible attraction of words

I find myself wandering endlessly, drawn by the intense lure of words, descriptions, and information... to soak in as much as possible and to create for myself... yet day by day it strengthens its hold, and as I struggle to keep up with it; I am overpowered like never before... with the thoughts, ideas and wishlists just piling up, threatening to drive away peace and order...    Illustration by Julie Paschkis in,     Pablo Neruda: Poet of the People

Que sera, sera... what will be, will be !

                                         (Photo credits: http://www.missouriskies.org/rainbow/february_rainbow_2006.html) I have always liked things to be perfectly planned, organized, and under control. It doesn't mean that I don't like (pleasant !) surprises and unexpected thrills, but that uncertainty and chaos are big fears. Although always a strong believer in destiny, I have also simultaneously believed that we create our own destinies. With time however, I am increasingly appreciating that most things are beyond our control. No matter how much we try to predict, plan, and organize;  and in spite of our best efforts, most things will happen just the way it is meant to be. When everything looks just perfect and fitting into place, people and situations will create unwanted complications. And again, when you worry about something and fear the worst, more ...