Skip to main content

Where do I belong?

Recently I came across this beautiful excerpt on belonging and identity that resonated very strongly with me. As an immigrant - although not yet at least in the permanent sense of the term - identity and belonging are things I think about very often. 

The one thing I have realized is that these concepts are super-fluid and hard to define. One must accept that they evolve constantly even if the basic foundation stays the same. Especially when one actively attempts to venture beyond the convenient comfort zones laid out by language, culture, faith, nationality, and any other unifying identity which we inherit, rather than develop with time. If we refuse to be siloed by our existing identities, a much wider world opens up. And we then realize that despite the differences and boundaries, there is a lot more common ground between us humans than we might appreciate.

Travel creates opportunities to experience such dissolving of boundaries; but moving around does it even better. Yet the process of uprooting one's life and moving is never easy, whether by choice or compulsion or even something in between. Especially when you move to the other side of the globe to start your life all over again. No matter how well you integrate and find your tribe (or not), how strongly you feel that you belong; a part of you is always void, always incomplete.

Immigrant traveller sculpture by Bruno Catalano, Venice (sourced from the internet)

Every place that I have lived in has influenced me, and the experiences have shaped who I am today, for better or for worse. So even though I usually still think of Kolkata - my birthplace - as home, the places I've lived in since (Bangalore, San Francisco Bay Area) feel like home no less, albeit in different, and sometimes stronger ways. As a scientist I'm trained to look at things objectively from the outside, trying to set aside emotion and bias as much as possible. I can identify exactly what is broken about a place or a system without being burdened by questions of faithfulness. Criticizing something also doesn't necessarily make it less dear, whether it's the past or the present. What it really means is that I care enough to think about it and be perturbed by the flaws that I perceive.

Everyday, I sense my identity getting fragmented between all of these places and experiences I have lived. As I try to keep up with understanding who I am turning into, it can be simultaneously exciting and scary. Yes, it's thrilling to have a sense of being a global citizen, unconstrained by just a handful of pre-existing labels. At the same time, it's equally terrifying to realize that ultimately I probably don't truly belong anywhere anymore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The six month milestone!

Yes, it seems incredible that it's been six months already! Six months since I took a giant leap of faith and left literally every'thing' behind. Six months since I arrived in the 'New World'. And what a crazy six months it's been! Almost every day has brought me new challenges that have tested me in different ways. Every day has reminded me that I have chosen to deal with a life out of my comfort zone and I have no choice but to face it heads on! These six months have also given me several positive experiences and the satisfaction of being able to handle the challenges in different ways and to different degrees. I have been extremely lucky to have been helped by many people and in several ways, all of whom made my survival here so far, possible and often comfortable. I have been warmly welcomed into the homes and hearths of so many families. I have made new friends. I have experienced life from a completely different perspective. I have learnt quite a few les...

The irresistible attraction of words

I find myself wandering endlessly, drawn by the intense lure of words, descriptions, and information... to soak in as much as possible and to create for myself... yet day by day it strengthens its hold, and as I struggle to keep up with it; I am overpowered like never before... with the thoughts, ideas and wishlists just piling up, threatening to drive away peace and order...    Illustration by Julie Paschkis in,     Pablo Neruda: Poet of the People

Que sera, sera... what will be, will be !

                                         (Photo credits: http://www.missouriskies.org/rainbow/february_rainbow_2006.html) I have always liked things to be perfectly planned, organized, and under control. It doesn't mean that I don't like (pleasant !) surprises and unexpected thrills, but that uncertainty and chaos are big fears. Although always a strong believer in destiny, I have also simultaneously believed that we create our own destinies. With time however, I am increasingly appreciating that most things are beyond our control. No matter how much we try to predict, plan, and organize;  and in spite of our best efforts, most things will happen just the way it is meant to be. When everything looks just perfect and fitting into place, people and situations will create unwanted complications. And again, when you worry about something and fear the worst, more ...