I wonder why spending time with oneself is so often looked at with suspicion, disdain or even, pity! More often than not, people assume that a person having a meal in a restaurant or cafe, taking a long walk, or watching a movie at the theatre...alone...is either socially awkward, or aloof and indifferent, or that one has no choice as there may be no one to spend time with! These assumptions probably may be true in many cases... after all no one would want to be 'lonely' exclusively by choice, unless some situation or experience has compelled them to be so. But there's also a chance, that once in a while (and for some people, more often!) that they enjoy the solitude, especially when they know it's not permanent and a matter of choice.
I call this kind of time 'me' time! It can a relaxing time when I can arrange my thoughts, or just relax and not think much about anything! I can experience silence better and also appreciate sounds in my surroundings which I would have missed otherwise, if engaged in conversation. I am not bound by the needs of another individual or necessities of any specific social behaviour. I have the freedom to walk as slow or fast as I desire... to ponder and plan. It gives a different sort of calming pleasure; something which feels like far from the 'madding' crowd. I often experience this while spotting interesting birds on an early morning walk, while sipping tea slowly with a book in hand (oblivious to the strange looks I may be getting) or while exploring new streets and neighbourhoods on foot or plain people-watching in an unfamiliar place. Undoubtedly nothing can beat an interesting and stimulating conversation in good company, but spending time by myself is way better than silly unnecessary gossip and chatter!
I call this kind of time 'me' time! It can a relaxing time when I can arrange my thoughts, or just relax and not think much about anything! I can experience silence better and also appreciate sounds in my surroundings which I would have missed otherwise, if engaged in conversation. I am not bound by the needs of another individual or necessities of any specific social behaviour. I have the freedom to walk as slow or fast as I desire... to ponder and plan. It gives a different sort of calming pleasure; something which feels like far from the 'madding' crowd. I often experience this while spotting interesting birds on an early morning walk, while sipping tea slowly with a book in hand (oblivious to the strange looks I may be getting) or while exploring new streets and neighbourhoods on foot or plain people-watching in an unfamiliar place. Undoubtedly nothing can beat an interesting and stimulating conversation in good company, but spending time by myself is way better than silly unnecessary gossip and chatter!

Comments
Post a Comment