Skip to main content

Random Musings of a Health-conscious Foodie!

Like most 'true-blue'Bengalis, I have always been a foodie. Food forms the centrepiece of every festival, event, ocassion, trip, celebration for us, almost to the point of obssession. It is in fact quite rare to find a Bengali who does not admit to their 'lust' for good food. Of course, the definition of 'good' is variable, yet a Bengali's soul is easily satisfied by a hearty and delicious meal.

The extent of my 'foodie'ness increased by many notches when I met my partner almost a decade ago. Together, we embarked on a journey which in addition to many other common interests, was egged on by our mutual love for good food. Luckily enough, we are both open-minded 'exploratory' eaters, ever ready to try out new cuisines, new combinations and new restaurants. Many of our friends also shared a similar gastronomic zeal and slowly yet steadily, our food journeys became an inseparable part of our lives in Bangalore. I didn't even realize when reviewing restaurants and creating wishlists on Zomato became an enjoyable free time activity. More recently, as I plunged deeper into the world of blogging, I discovered the wealth of recipes, accompanied by drool-worthy photos, all waiting their turn to be tried. And as i keep browsing more and more pages on food photography and adding food blogs to my reading list, I wait ardently for the day when I have my own kitchen and I can rustle up whatever my heart fancies (ironically though, I am a level 1 novice in matters of cooking and this feeling of enthusiasm to cook is very new for me, and a matter of cheeky amusement for the husband :-/). Food explorations also form a very important component of any trips that we take... and we devote considerable planning and background research in our quest for the best and the most authentic. For us, any place is not experienced to satisfaction without trying out local specialties or legendary options on the food scene.

In complete contrast, we have also become quite health-conscious of late. In general, we have tried to mould our lifestyle and eating habits to more healthier upgrades. I have also become very particular about the nutritional contents of various foods and finding healthy alternatives or feasible diet plans. This obviously also means significant downsizing of our food explorations, at least in frequency, if not also in the cooking styles preferred.  It isn't easy, and it makes me crave my own kitchen even more, where things can be customized as per taste and need and where I can control precisely, everything that we eat. Even though, the term 'health-conscious foodie' may be an oxymoron bordering on the ridiculous; yet at this moment is the most apt description of me!




Disclaimer: I lay no claim on any of these awesome photos. They are mere representatives of my mouth watering food photo collection from the vast space called the internet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The six month milestone!

Yes, it seems incredible that it's been six months already! Six months since I took a giant leap of faith and left literally every'thing' behind. Six months since I arrived in the 'New World'. And what a crazy six months it's been! Almost every day has brought me new challenges that have tested me in different ways. Every day has reminded me that I have chosen to deal with a life out of my comfort zone and I have no choice but to face it heads on! These six months have also given me several positive experiences and the satisfaction of being able to handle the challenges in different ways and to different degrees. I have been extremely lucky to have been helped by many people and in several ways, all of whom made my survival here so far, possible and often comfortable. I have been warmly welcomed into the homes and hearths of so many families. I have made new friends. I have experienced life from a completely different perspective. I have learnt quite a few les...

The irresistible attraction of words

I find myself wandering endlessly, drawn by the intense lure of words, descriptions, and information... to soak in as much as possible and to create for myself... yet day by day it strengthens its hold, and as I struggle to keep up with it; I am overpowered like never before... with the thoughts, ideas and wishlists just piling up, threatening to drive away peace and order...    Illustration by Julie Paschkis in,     Pablo Neruda: Poet of the People

Que sera, sera... what will be, will be !

                                         (Photo credits: http://www.missouriskies.org/rainbow/february_rainbow_2006.html) I have always liked things to be perfectly planned, organized, and under control. It doesn't mean that I don't like (pleasant !) surprises and unexpected thrills, but that uncertainty and chaos are big fears. Although always a strong believer in destiny, I have also simultaneously believed that we create our own destinies. With time however, I am increasingly appreciating that most things are beyond our control. No matter how much we try to predict, plan, and organize;  and in spite of our best efforts, most things will happen just the way it is meant to be. When everything looks just perfect and fitting into place, people and situations will create unwanted complications. And again, when you worry about something and fear the worst, more ...