Skip to main content

Scientific Research: Utility versus Futility

Today as i write this i'm just a few months (possibly even, weeks) away from obtaining my PhD degree. Obviously, it has been a very long journey along a not so hospitable road... but the situation is the same almost the world over, and especially in India; so that is not the focus of what I want to write today. I want to highlight a very different aspect of scientific research in general, and also drawing from my personal experience.

I was recently reflecting about the 'utility' of my scientific research so far. For a significant part of my PhD, I have worked on undertanding whether a key cellular protein is involved with the progression of Parkinson's Disease; a neurodegenerative disease condition that is far more prevalent than most people are aware. It has earned me a few papers in international journals, a decent body of work comprising a thesis, and eventually, the much coveted degree which is hardly the passport to 'nirvana'; and rather throws up newer and bigger challenges and uncertainties, though albeit taking my career 'forward'. But what more does it achieve beyond these personal goals? Does it really mean anything to anybody else, at large? Will it really make a difference to anybody, ever? Will it in any way, contribute to developing therapy or preventing the progression of the disease? Does it really add anything to what was already known and understood? And it's not just about me...I could ask the very same questions about the 'scientific achievement' of 99% other researchers, globally.

   Ironically, my grandmother suffers from Parkinson's Disease and in fact, a quite advanced stage of it. It was diagnosed more than a year ago, but I suspect it was lurking in the shadows since much before, for years, while we all conveniently ignored her frail shaking hands attributing it to her old age. Now, she's a mere shadow of herself, almost unrecognizable as the same person who in spite of her age was always full of energy and enthusiasm, and barely spent a waking moment idle. It's hard to connect her with the grandmother who was ever ready to rustle up the most intricate of delicacies no matter how tiresome an exercize it was, or always interested in the latest news, TV shows, and ready to gulp down any book or piece of written material that came her way. She also loved having people around, and would be happiest when there were gatherings of the family or the extended family; and would often complain and sulk if I (or her other grandchildren) didn't call for a few weeks. Now she is shut up in an impenetrable shell, barely recognizing anybody, even her own family, and having lost interest in every activity that she enjoyed earlier. She utters very few words and is dependent on a full-time caregiver. Yet, there are these sudden and rare spells of exceptional lucidity, that amaze us, and bring us hope that she is not really as disconnected as it seems.

There have been discoveries, breakthroughs, inventions that have shaped our lives, right from the beginning of human existence. Even in the recent past, the last century, there has been considerable and amazing advancements of science and technology, bringing us where we stand today. Yet, in today's rat race culture, truly 'beneficial' science  represents only a miniscule fraction. For the majority, at any stage of their scientific life, it's just a respectable career option. However, in spite of the disillusionment, it's impossible for me to say that scientific research as it happens today isn't worth the taxpayers' money. A lot of the studies which do not have any obvious benefits do help, in taking other 'more important' ones ahead. Or they may be the stepping stones leading up to different directions that may eventually be of help. We have to keep hope and wait for the real breakthroughs that can justify the system, at large.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The six month milestone!

Yes, it seems incredible that it's been six months already! Six months since I took a giant leap of faith and left literally every'thing' behind. Six months since I arrived in the 'New World'. And what a crazy six months it's been! Almost every day has brought me new challenges that have tested me in different ways. Every day has reminded me that I have chosen to deal with a life out of my comfort zone and I have no choice but to face it heads on! These six months have also given me several positive experiences and the satisfaction of being able to handle the challenges in different ways and to different degrees. I have been extremely lucky to have been helped by many people and in several ways, all of whom made my survival here so far, possible and often comfortable. I have been warmly welcomed into the homes and hearths of so many families. I have made new friends. I have experienced life from a completely different perspective. I have learnt quite a few les...

The irresistible attraction of words

I find myself wandering endlessly, drawn by the intense lure of words, descriptions, and information... to soak in as much as possible and to create for myself... yet day by day it strengthens its hold, and as I struggle to keep up with it; I am overpowered like never before... with the thoughts, ideas and wishlists just piling up, threatening to drive away peace and order...    Illustration by Julie Paschkis in,     Pablo Neruda: Poet of the People

Que sera, sera... what will be, will be !

                                         (Photo credits: http://www.missouriskies.org/rainbow/february_rainbow_2006.html) I have always liked things to be perfectly planned, organized, and under control. It doesn't mean that I don't like (pleasant !) surprises and unexpected thrills, but that uncertainty and chaos are big fears. Although always a strong believer in destiny, I have also simultaneously believed that we create our own destinies. With time however, I am increasingly appreciating that most things are beyond our control. No matter how much we try to predict, plan, and organize;  and in spite of our best efforts, most things will happen just the way it is meant to be. When everything looks just perfect and fitting into place, people and situations will create unwanted complications. And again, when you worry about something and fear the worst, more ...